Thursday, June 18, 2009

Weekly Word Double!!

This week, I decided to post not one, but TWO, weekly words. The first I heard as I was listening to the news on the radio this morning during my commute to work:

Abstruse
function: adjective
definition: difficult to comprehend; recondite

How appropriate, since when I heard it I found the word abstruse to be abstruse at the time. He he he.

The second word, oddly enough, I didn't hear anywhere recently. I was just thinking of abstruse and all the other words I don't know and then I thought, "Yeah. Like that word 'concomitant'. I don't know that one either." And then I thought it's kind of funny to think of a word you don't know. If I'm able to conjure the word without external clues or information, doesn't that mean that, in some way, shape or form, I must know it? Is this also not a bit abstruse? Well, whatever it is, I couldn't conjure the definition without external guidance of Merriam Webster.

Concomitant
function: also an adjective
definition: accompanying, especially in a subordinate or incidental way

2 comments:

Johnny and Anny said...

Loved the adjectives today! Concomitant is going to take a little work to stick in my brain. Abstruse is a cool word, and I think I'm going to use it in a sentence today!

Hope you and Benny boy are enjoying your summer...I hear you have some cool things planned!

dolly d. said...

I love abstruse. And I have to admit that I totally do that all the time. I will be going around, minding my own business and a word will pop into my head. Sometimes it pops out of my mouth in a sentence and I will look it up to make sure I used it right (99.9% of the time I have). But other times a random word will just be in my head and float around till I can finally look it up. So weird...but I like it. At least it's better than pulling out your hair ;)