Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Car Insurance

Well, I have been shopping car insurances lately, and let me tell you, it is ridiculous the differences I have found out here.

Let me take a breather, and say that first, I am in New Jersey, which traditionally and historically has some of the worst car insurance rates out there, but this is ridiculous.

I am a fairly decent driver. I have never gotten a DMV point or car accident on my New Jersey license, have been been driving since I was 17, and all that jazz.

So, I have been doing some car insurance quotes around the block.

GEICO came in at the best at a premium of $470/6 months. All you out in never never land probably pay that for a whole year, but eh, that is a great deal in New Jersey.

I am currently paying almost double that at $800 +/- $50 every 6 months, so you can see the deal. So, I go and call up AIG, and also do one with Progressive. Progressive comes in at a sterling $760 and AIG quotes me up a big fat $1200.

Now, come on here. This is just getting a bit ridiculous. How are you supposed to know the difference from one to the other? All the fine print is tucked away in some nerd with big glasses' desk. You only get to see it after you sign up with them. And there is no disclosure of the typical penalties or adjustments for normal stuff like tickets or fender benders or whatever. The algorithm for how they do the rate adjustments would be great for people that are trying to pick an insurance company.

All I can say is bleh!!! What a pain in the arse. I even tried googling some places for forums that talk about theyir best insurance companies, but found nothing. So goes it. Any tips for the insurance company shopper?

1 comment:

dolly d. said...

Well, I have Allstate and have never had any issues with it. They give you good driver discounts and all that. And I've even totalled my car on that account with no added fees. Awsome, right? Probably cause of my clean record. Also, when I totalled my car, I had the check for it by the next week. I also have there motor club who's limit on services I have yet to exceed. My premium is between 7 and 8 hundred, so I don't know what it'd cost there, but I've always been happy with it. Then again, my Dad works for Allstate ...I may be a little biased. :)