Monday, June 11, 2007

The Weekly Word: "Slacker"

So, as my dear sweet co-blogger will tell you, I slacked a bit last week...I didn't post the weekly word, and it was my turn. And then I think, what is a slacker?

So, alas, I googled slacker, and first up....wikipedia.

According to Wikipedia, the term "slacker" was most commonly used during the WWI and WWII era to explain men who were avoiding the draft, but that isn't me....hmmm. Next, they give a short concise evolutionary definition, applicable to modern times "A typical slacker is characterized by a static, unenthusiastic air manifesting in an apparent lack of effort."

OUCH!!! I sure hope that isn't me.

Alas, I turn to the urban dictionary for respite. With their new voting system, urban dictionary puts a whole new meaning to community dictionary. The most popular definition presented is

"Someone who puts off doing things to the last minute, and when the last minutes comes, decides it wasn't all that important anyways and forgets about it"

I don't know how I feel about that definition, but it is better than the other one. Still a bit assumptive in characteristic, yet pessimistic in outcome. Oftentimes I think a slacker does it in the end, just a bit late.

Lastly, I come to the Freedictionary.com. "One who shirks work or responsibility." I like it, short, sweet, not overlybroad, yet vague enough to be applicable to the majority of commonly associated occurences.

In my terms, what is a slacker? Someone that says they will do something and then doesn't. Perhaps it is just someone that works on a different time frame from the rest of us. Or maybe it is a genius so engrossed in other thought, that it appears as if they are doing nothing, but in reality, are one more "slacking" moment from uncovering the mysteries of the universe........ok, ok, yes, that is a far stretch. And if I wasn't a slacker, I would probably type okay, instead of ok.

Regardless, slackers are our best friends, our worst enemas, and our enviable compatriots. We love hanging out with them, because they are the only ones that have the time to hang out, while the rest of us A-type personalities are off being anti-social and trying to conquer the world. Everything is the worst enema...can you have a good enema?....wait, don't answer that. And lastly, we envy their ability to shirk responsibility, make time for the more enjoyable things in life, and somehow have a far more relaxed, yet wholistic approach to daily life.

True they may be goalless, needy, and empty wastes of space, but we still want to be like them.

So, touche, I wish I was a slacker, but until then, I'll just have to blog about it.


No comments: