Friday, June 29, 2007

Weekly Word: Smoothie

What is a smoothie to you? This past week and a half or so, I have had the ever-challenging task of feeding myself. What to eat is a HUGE topic. Americans everywhere read about it, write about it, think about it..... The effort we must all put into feeding ourselves is a challenge, for many different reasons. Some of us feed too often. Others forget too often (I still haven't figured out how these people do that. I never forget.) Many of us struggle not with how often, but with WHAT to eat. In my case, I have a hard time digesting dairy. And things with lots of oil. I even had a long period of time where I couldn't eat veggies and other "ruffage" type food. I have an aversion to eating a lot of meat. This made about 80% of the food found at the supermarket useless to me and I quickly acquired an aversion to grocery shopping. Freak, I know. The digestive system is a beast. A picky beast.

But alas, I have found a safe haven. I have found this in the beauty and simplicity of "The Smoothie". Healthy. Has Fruit. Has yogurt. I can add "boosts" to it to make it even more healthy. It's got ice (as good as a glass of water), it's cold, and I find it very filling and satisfying. The perfect summer food. I have had one almost every day since my parents left town and have caused me to have to fend for my own meals. All other meals are either grubbed off of somebody else or consist of whatever random things may still be in the fridge and cupboards of my kitchen ( I ate gold fish and ice cream for dinner one night).

I am but a few days shy of reverting back to yesteryears where all I ate was peanut butter & jelly and burritos from the freezer. For months. But I still think it would be worth the price of my cherished smoothie. With using these food rations, I can afford to get my lovely, delectable smoothie pretty much every day and still not spend ridiculous amounts of money on food. In reality, I could go to the grocery store. But then I would have to give up my smoothie.

The Smoothie is my new love for food. It is every wish I have for in a summer meal: sweet, cold, fruity, easy, drinkable, nonfattening, easily digestible, guilt-free, fast, affordable and accessible. It comes in many varieties and the whole fruit kinds are not TOO sweet. MMMMM MMMMM Good. A smoothie is my reason for taking lunch. It is my thirst quencher. It is my tide-me-over happy food till the folks return and actually bring real food around the house.

What's your smoothie?

2 comments:

Jefe said...

Hey there girl!

Smoothies are one of my favorite foods. Here is how I make mine:

1 banana per half a tray of ice cubes
Silk (don't use milk, it isn't as good)
Vanilla Extract (gotta have my liquor!)
and a bit of honey.

Any other fruit on hand.

I find that the more bananas the smoother the smoothie.

dolly d. said...

I LOVE SMOOTHIES! But if you want to know what "my smoothie" is, I'd have to say chips and guacamole. I know you are surprised, but I almost always have something like that around that is just sort of a filler. Sometimes I incorporate other stuff to make a whole meal, sometimes I don't have time for a meal, or I don't want to eat a lot so I'll just pull that out, sometimes add some cheese to the mix...yum.