Monday, October 5, 2009

Interesting Read

So again, I slack...the only difference this time is that Sharona has slacked as well. Nonetheless, I think I will come through for all those that are information mavens...(by the way, I always refer to myself as a "geek", but did you know that "geek" has a really weird definition?....Weekly word coming up!).

Up, we have a study done by the Pew Charitable Trust on Mormons...since I am mormon, Sharona is mormon, and well, probably 90% of the people that know this blog exists are mormon, the post has significant value to those reading it. You can find it here.

Enjoy the read...I found some things very interesting, like the difference in education standards between converts and lifers. I also thought the ideological differences between single and married mormons was very interesting. I was hoping they would break that down to a gender coefficient, because that would have added a very interesting dynamic to the reading of numbers (just who is swaying whose beliefs?).

The ohter fairly shocking notion was that 35% of the mormon population believes that the Bible should be interpreted literally. I thought (perhaps to my self dissolusionment) that the Bible was to be read figuratively or allegorically and rarely literally (except for perhaps historical facts and what not)....and have you noticed that I use parantheticals way to much to make ridiculous inoccuous and wasteful asides?

Anyways, enjoy...and hope to share more often.

P.S. Tell me that Elder Holland's talk at conference wasn't just amazing? And also, now that the Priesthood sessions are all on the web....how many women are watching them?

2 comments:

eclaires said...

Probably more than the number of men watching the Relief Society Meeting talks from the Saturday prior. I'm just saying.

Sharona said...

Did anyone else find it interesting that mormons want MORE governmental influence is moral issues and less governmental influence in social issues. Alas, the democratic critic in me rears its ugly head.