Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Weekly Word: Imprimatur

BTW, I was watching an episode of Urban Myths last night, and they were trying to "bifurcate" a car by sending it, at 55mph, into a head-on collision with a stationary, incredibly massive snow plow. And if you're wondering, no, you cannot bifurcate a car using this method. You can, however, harm the passengers inside the car (the blow up dummies did not fair well.)

I just so happened to discover a new word this week, and so I will share it with all of you.

Imprimatur
function: noun

Definitions:

1. a)a license to print or publish, especially by Roman Catholic episcopal authority, b) approval of a publication under circumstances of official censorship

2. a) sanction, approval, b)imprint, c)a mark of approval or distinction

I read it in an article, or maybe I heard it on the news... probably read it. Anyway, it was being used with the 2nd and more applicable of the two definitions. What a fun synonym for approval! Use it. I dare you.

6 comments:

Jefe said...

are you allowed to post a weekly word? I thought I got to post the weekly words! Well done none the less, but I was just about to post a new one...guess it will have to wait!

Sharona said...

well, it WAS something we both did. I did not realize when you restarted it that it was your intention to be the singular author of this feature. But we can discuss it as an option. I'm open. Oh, and terribly sorry to have inconvenienced and rearranged your blogging plans. I like it when you blog.

Jefe said...

I was just giving you a hard time. The weekly word is clearly up for both authors to enjoy and have fun with...you are really going to like my next word! Do you realize we are having a discussion via our own blog, with each other? How depressing! Anyways, I just scheduled my posts to be published later in the week.

Jefe said...

By the way, we have to get rid of this purple...it is so hard to read.

Sharona said...

Ah, dang. I really like the new blog colors. Is it too girly for you? I wondered if the pink was too much. We can change it.Dang, I thought it was kinda refreshing after our drab grey spell... But I'll work on it. And I have no problems having conversations with you through the blog. I find it rather entertaining. :)

Johnny and Anny said...

I find these blog conversation rather entertaining as well, does this count as eavesdropping?

Nice word Sharona, I'll probably have to reread the definition three more times before it will stick in my brain!)