Friday, April 24, 2009

Do I Look Green to You?

I believe that a person who can accurately see themselves in the world as they are and as other people perceive them, including the ability to accurately acknowledge their own flaws and circumstances is a person who has great power. Without the knowledge of knowing who you are and where you are in life and in the pecking order, how are you to get to where or become who you want? And how do you know how to or, in fact, how you actually do relate to others? This kind of self-knowledge is very powerful. And I used to think I was, in recent years at least, doing really well on this score. But I think I'm wrong. In fact, I am finding this year that I have great cause for concern. Great cause, people!

I have been learning a lot of new things about myself this year. Earlier this year, in a conversation with my very perceptive co-blogger, I came to the realization that I am ........(drum roll) a competitive person. Really, I had no idea. But, according to him, that was more of a "DUH" kind of a thing and should not have been very shocking to me.

Earlier today, and a few times before (amidst years of scandalous dating behavior and an ongoing shoe fetish) I realized that, on some subconscious level, I live my life as a mormon version of Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City. She may be the role model of my subconscious. I'm not sure. But I do like her. And the most recent supportive evidence of my suspicion in this regard came from browsing some popular celebrity hair styles on MSN. I realized, as I saw Sarah Jessica Parker's hair-do amongst the fashionably coifed celebrity slides, that her hair was exactly what I was going for. I had no idea all this time I've been growing it out until that moment(I swear). But I can't help myself. She finally made big hair good-looking! And I have big hair. Maybe that's where my love for her began....



I digress. Forgive me. Onto this other thing about me. Well..... I haven't quite figured it out. Maybe you can help me.

See, I was talking to a co-worker this morning at my new job. She asked what exciting thing I was doing this weekend. I explained that I was very delighted because I was finally planning on going to Findlay's Market tomorrow morning. For those who don't know, Findlay's Market is the big farmer's market with locally grown food & other goods located in downtown Cincy. It's cool and trendy and fun and all that jazz. And they have food, which my kitchen does not have. I've wanted to go for so long, and I think I actually have a shot of getting there tomorrow.




Anyhow, my coworker and I somehow went from Findlay's Market to the topic of being "green" and I mentioned that I am often, to my surprise, perceived as being very green by others, even though being green is something that I have a hard time with sometimes.



Kermie relates to me on this front. It's not easy being green. And I do have a hard time. For instance:

1) I bring reusable bags with me to the grocery store now, but I have YET to actually remember to bring them out of the car and in with me to the grocery store to use! I can't remember for the life of me!

2) And while I like the idea of going to farmer's markets and eating locally grown food, tomorrow will be the first time I've actually shopped at a farmer's market. If I even get there.

3) I also waste a lot of water doing the dishes. I refuse to wash dishes in a sink full of stagnant water, progressively getting dirtier and dirtier, dish by dish. It is just so gross to me.

4)And I keep my cell phone charger plugged in to the wall socket ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I'm terrible.

5) I also have no garden. Green people totally have gardens.

6) And I'm totally not PETA-approved either. I've owned a vest made of rabbit fur (I sold it on Ebay though, so I don't have it anymore), and even right now as I am typing I am wearing a leather jacket, a leather belt and leather cowboy boots. I totally kill animals. And my jeans are from BeBe. I hate BeBe (or at least their ad campaigns), and yet I carry their label on my keister. But that's neither here nor there. I'm getting off-topic again.

7) I eat ice cream on an almost daily basis. And I'm addicted to sugar. So I may LOOK like a healthy eater, but I'm really not that good. And green people are typically healthy people.

Despite these non-green attributes, I admit that:

1) I was incredibly hippie-ish in high school.

2) I used to be vegetarian and still don't like to eat meat very often. To wear animal is one thing. Imbibing it is another.

3) I love the outdoors and believe nature is just gorgeous and fabulous for adventuring and I even like camping sometimes.

4) one of my favorite perks about our suburb is the recycling bins that are so close by.

5) I turn off lights that aren't being used (my parents probably won't believe that one, but it's true).

6) I try to find ways to use the plastic grocery bags I DO collect.

7) I use ziploc bags more than once.

8) I use soymilk

All in all, I really don't mind being perceived as a "green" sort of person. I kind of support green (in practical, efficient and that-actually-makes-sense kinds of ways. I don't believe every green idea out there meets this criteria). Green is also perceived as being liberal. And I seem kind of liberal sometimes too. So, all that's fine with me. Really. I don't know if I deserve it, but I'm good with that label of green.

Here's the rub for me: I don't understand how I appear to be green to other people. I don't think I just talk green. I think I LOOK green! I have friends who have voted me most likely to buy recycled toilet paper. And I get it when it's friends because they have gotten to know me over the course of our relationship. But now I find people think that about me even if they don't know me! It's true! And it has just been validated again this morning. The moment I said I am often perceived as being green to my new coworker, she piped up and admitted that she was on the list of people who thought I seemed "green" to her. And I've only spoken to her, like, twice. And here I thought my wardrobe and hair were much improved since high school. I totally don't wear tie dye. I don't even think I know how to spell it.

So, enlighten me. Exactly what is it that makes one's greenness so visible to the stranger's eye? And by "one" I mean me. :) Because I'm more likely to be caught in Prada than Patagonia and I really didn't think I looked like this:

2 comments:

Johnny and Anny said...

Recycled toilet-paper, I'd like to see the marketing campaigns on this one.

Aaaah, the perceptions of GREEN: not green with envy, nor a gardener's green thumb, but the ever-increasing inconvenient truth of GREEN. Personally, I think GREEN is the new spin on capitalism, it's a great money-maker now days...not to mention very trendy. I think they'll start making Bebe bell-bottoms and Dior hippie bags very soon:)

I've been confused with this concept of being green myself. I feel this nagging guilt everytime I use the phosphorous Cascade dishwashing detergent, throw away something that could've been recycled or the constant guilt of using disposable diapers (sorry, I don't think I can ever give this one up...cloth diapers, are you kidding me!). I probably have crossed the line of every truly being green because I have a kid, and now I've threatened the planet beyond repair by adding another carbon-dioxide and garbage emitting human. Being green is like taking on a whole new religion...and oh the guilt if you cross the line!

Sharon as far as green goes, I must say that I wasn't aware of your green tendencies until your wish to not have a diamond because of humanitarian reasons. And then you drove a VW bug, and later bought a Subaru, and then my green suspicions were materializing. Bottom line, I think you're tinged with green, but for the reasons mentioned on your post...I too have a mind-block about about GREEN and designer clothes meshing. However, there are alot of celebrities on the self-proclaimed GREEN bandwagon, and I'm sure they were Prada too. (by the way, I never knew you were such a leather and cowboy boot fan, wow...I'd like to see you get Ben to pull that off:)

GREEN is contagious, once you start buying the lavender-scented biodegradable detergents and cleaners, organic-only foods, using a solar-powered car, practice yoga and smoking pot on the beach and become vegan, I might endearingly think of you as a hippie, but for now you're the fashionable and earth/humanitarian conscious-minded Sharon we all love. Thanks also for putting a few words by Kermit, he's a wise-old frog.

p.s.
I think the new hair-do would look so beautiful, tell us how you like it! You're hair is about that long isn't it?

Anne said...

Sharon, we were meant to be sisters. It's a good thing you had a hot brother for me to marry! I really am green at heart...but in practice I just seem to fall a little short (no pun intended). However, as far as looking green goes, I've got to win, as I sit here typing in my (get ready to laugh) Patagonia pants and Crocs shoes. It is a HUGE pet peeve for me to find recyclables in the garbage, I'm thinking of eliminating paper towels entirely from my house, I love Costco for all of their green cleaning products that they don't charge a premium for, I plant a fabulous garden, and I'm even thinking about making my own laundry detergent. Whoa. I too was a vegetarian hippie of sorts in high school...I just don't have the fashion sense to make it look as good as you do as an adult!
Go GREEN!!!