Saturday, April 25, 2009

Weekly Word: Farding

Oh, you are gonna love me for this one.

Yes yes, I know you don't know this word, and I know you know the word it sounds like...but gentlemen, if you want to have a little fun with your special lady friend, or for that matter, just as long as she is a lady friend, doesn't have to be all that special. Or ladies, if you enjoy a little potty mouth every once in a while, or wish to show a little literary hi-brow to those gutter minded men around you, then Farding is the word for you.

So. let's start with what Webster's has to say about Farding:

Main Entry: fard
Pronunciation:\ˈfärd\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French farder, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German faro colored — more at perch
Date: 15th century
1
: to paint (the face) with cosmetics
2
archaic : to gloss over
fard noun archaic

So, next time you are late for dinner, and it happens to be because your special lady friend isn't ready...you can quite literally to tell her to stop Farding.....and let's go! :)

1 comment:

Johnny and Anny said...

Nice,where on earth did you discover this little gem...Balderdash? This word should become part of a new slogan for Mary Kay or CoverGirl. However, my sweet hubby should never find out about this word otherwise I'll have a never-ending slew of flatulent-related jokes daily as I get ready. Nice word, it'll be hard to top this baby.

p.s.
I found a blog that I think Sharon will get a kick out of:
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/