Monday, April 2, 2007

The Secret

Last week, I had some friends rave about a book they'd read, called The Secret. Idon't have much time for books, but they really liked it, so I got the book on CD. I've listened to a little over 1/2 of the book (I'm quite the commuter), and I have found the book to be insightful, but not the wonder book that friends of mine have claimed.

It is based on the Law of Attraction, with the idea that thoughts are powerful and emit an energy. Based on this law, the frequencies of the thoughts you put out attract like frequencies, and therefore, positive thoughts about what you want in life will naturally make those positive things come to you, because they are attracted to you and its just a law of nature. It talks about gratitude, giving, and a whole bunch of stuff, all of which I think is great. However, I think it goes a bit too far in some places. It starts to sound like a bunch of hooey at times. Like when she talks about dreading receiving bills because of debt. So, instead think that you are getting checks. So, you pretend that when you get a bill, it's really a check, and be really grateful for it. Then pay your bill because you're so blessed with all the money you have been receiving from checks. And then, because of those positive thoughts and that energy you put out, you WILL actually receive checks in the mail.


Hmmm.... I think that thinking your bills are actually checks.... I think that's nutty. And thinking you'll get checks in the mail for no reason..... weird. Thinking of a plan to get the checks and following through with it... sure. But there isn't much discussion in the how or the why so far through the book. Just the thinking, but no plan....

Not to mention, this theory seems to advocate the idea, without saying it in so many words, that you are in complete control of your life, no matter what. Even freak accidents, being shot in a war and dying of a disease are all within your control to avoid or overcome. I don't think people who were killed by a drunk driver, burned in the holocaust, died of muscular distrophy or who have lost a loved one to cancer lacked enough positive thoughts or negatively thought their way to that end.

Positive thinking, I like. The idea that thoughts emit a frequency, I can dig that. Gratitude, also good. Giving, even better. Dealing with the flukes, accidents and even misfortunes that life may hand you -- something I just don't think you can always avoid, no matter how positive your thoughts. I'm not all sold quite yet. I'll let you know when I'm done.

1 comment:

dolly d. said...

Sharon!! You are so so cute! I'm glad you have a blog. Maybe it'll help me feel like I get to talk to you even when I don't. And now you'll have to check out mine too. Fun! Oh, and I saw The Secret movie and was totally inspired. I can understand your logic, but don't feel like thinking that way about it. So we'll see. :)