Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Kevin Bacon

Ok, so I finished The Secret yesterday. And I must say, after having finished it I agree with it more than I did before. But I'm still about a 80% good stuff vs. 20% hooey believer. Generally, anything that tells me to do things I think are nutty, ... I'm gonna think is kinda nutty. Doing things I don't think rational-- ditto. But I really did like it's theories and overall message. Some very good lessons to learn in that book. But I am totally sold on one thing from the book. I TOTALLY love the book on cd idea. I might have to join a library that has those. Otherwise, this new habit could be grow to be a very expensive hobby. Books are pricey enough. Books on cd -- ouch.

So, my big news from yesterday: Kevin Bacon came into the clothing shop where I work (I TOLD you it was high end clothes). I knew him the second he walked in the store, as if I'd seen him 5000 times before. Oh wait, I have. Anyway, SO Cool. And yet, what do you do when you see Kevin Bacon? I don't think I have the answer for you. Here's a rendition of maybe what not to do:

So, there I am, in the same room with Kevin Bacon... what to do... Act natural, right? I don't want to gawk and make him feel uncomfortable or do anything "unnatural", though I don't know what IS "natural" to do when you're in the same room as an incredibly talented actor who has his own game and is a phenomenon only equal to himself. I just don't run into that scenario very often. But I try anyway.... what's natural? what's natural? Hmmm....

Thinking... Thinking..., I'm still in the same room as Kevin Bacon. At the clothing shop. And what do I do? I pretend he's just another customer and don't acknowledge that I know he's Kevin Bacon. Why does this make sense? Why is "pretending" more natural in my logic? I have no idea.

Then my store manager tells me to tell him that we have men's clothing next door. She's making me talk to him!!! That means I acknowledge that he's there, and my "I think you're just like anybody else" cover is totally blown! Slight panic on the inside, but I keep my cool. So, I tell him. Wooh, that was challenging. But good. I did it. I'm cool, yo. He's there with his daughters and this woman that is there with them (maybe his mom?). So, I kinda just told the group. That made it easier to do. The "maybe mom" tells me they've already been there. He (she means Kevin, of course, but she's not verbally admitting who he is either, apparently) really liked the men's selection and their t-shirts, but thanks for letting them know.

And then he and his little group casually and "naturally" peruse themselves over into the denim section of our store, where I don't work, so my opportunity to stare and revel in his presence is gone. The end. Brilliance, Sharon. Brilliance. Note to self - next time you run into a him, which will probably be never, or any other famous person you think is cool, it's probably ok to smile at them. I bet you even celebrities like smiles.

3 comments:

dolly d. said...

That is so awesome! And way so funny. I'd have laughed out loud if I wasn't at work and there were kids here. Wow, that would be an awkward situation, but I'm glad you were able to tell him ifo without stuttering at least. Next time I say to smile huge and gauk and giggle excitedly everytime you overhear him say anything (funny or not) I'm pretty sure that'll impress him. :)

vantastic said...

sharon!!! lets be blog friends. yeah, what do you do when you see a celebrity?? I usually DON'T recognize them, so I am good to go.

Anonymous said...

First of all--amen on The Secret. Law of Attraction my butt (hmmmm, food for thought there ...).

Kevin Bacon??! OHMYGOSH! You did EXACTLY what I would have done--play cool, like you don't know anything. I think it's awesome that you were so useless, it makes me like you better.