Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Introductions

I grew up in Red Bank, NJ, I'm the youngest (& shortest) of 7 children, and I currently live in Utah. I'm a pretty grounded person. I have worked full-time since I graduated from college with my undergraduate degree (I DID study Recreation Management, so I have a strong playing streak in me. I'm not all work) Since high school, if someone were to ask me what I've been up to I would say: I've earned 2 degrees (I finished my MPA last year), traveled a lot, played guitar, run, worked my little arse off and had some great relationships.

Throughout my life, I find myself always evaluating. I evaluate what I do with my time, how I manage my relationships, where my priorities are, what I want, what people tell me I should want, and how the things I'm doing reflect what I want to say and what I think is important. It's a lot to manage on a day-to-day basis! Especially when I try to have a life at the same time. I compare where I am and what I do versus where you are and what you do. Do I like that? Do I want that? Do I not like it? Is it good? Worthwhile? Overall, I think my evaluations center on trying to achieve the greatest happiness and satisfaction and good out of my life.

Right now, I work a full-time job at a nonprofit that helps low-income families, and work part-time at a high-end fashion clothing store (it helps me save up for renovations for my studio and strokes/feeds my inner fashion diva cravings). I run. I go shopping. I used to play guitar and draw and write as well, but I find I have a hard time fitting everything in these days.

I don't travel as much as I used to or as much as I like. I blame that on work. But I'm not so sad about that, because I think I can contribute more when I am around to contribute. There is value in sticking around and being part of a community.

I've applied to the Peace Corps twice, and dropped off from the application process both times. Most people tell me that it just may not be the right time for me. I think that might be true. I also think I might be chicken. And I think I want to be a little more settled in my own situation before I go over and help the less fortunate. Otherwise, I fear I WILL be the less fortunate upon my return, because as of yet there's not that much to me.

And so, life continues. With working and running and friends and all, I see my family very little, which is pathetic since I live with them. They give me free rent and feed me because I don't make time to cook.

For the most part I am happy, and happy with my decisions. My inner conflicts rest mostly around religion and work. Do I work too much? Probably. But I can't seem to help it. I've been doing it for years. Maybe I'm just ADD. And I like money. But there is more to life than work, yes? Perhaps I do that wrong. As for religion... we can leave that for another blog day. This a sufficient introduction for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I love it! You're marvelous!! Now ... doesn't it feel really good to get a comment? I struggle too with what to do with my blog. It's really just a little bit of therapy for me. I have a select group of friends who I have given the address to and sworn to secrecy. That's so I feel safe venting, and believe me, I have! But it's nice to get your thoughts out of your head (I totally know what you mean about evaluating overmuch) and into the open. Makes them more manageable ... May you blog much and live even more!

Sharona said...

HMC - bless you for leaving me a comment. You are fabulous. We'll see if I actually have enough gumption to ask difficult questions

Anonymous said...

Sharon-
What am I to say? A blog... Apparently you don;t work too much because you have found time for this. I still love you will call you about strange events in my life that I know only you can relate too. I will also ask you if you are married. It is my nature! I love ya! J

vantastic said...

you are so great. so wonderful. so fun. I am glad to meet up with you here in cyber space.