Monday, February 25, 2008

New Job

So, I started my new job last week. I am the PR and Development Manager. Whatever that means. It is, officially, the coolest job I've ever had. I'm quite pleased they've taken me in. The work they do is inspiring and they do good ALL OVER THE WORLD. Love it. And the work I do is actually fun for me. Not to mention, my commute is 10 minutes and I haven't had to get gasoline for my car in over 4 days, which is probably the first time that's happened in almost two years. Ahhh, how fabulous.

The funniest/oddest part of my job is that it involves quite a bit of PR. You might have guessed that by the title, I suppose. It surprises me, even so. I'm not sure why they structured it this way or entrusted me with this responsibility. I think we both saw my resume. Yet somehow, here I am. Of course, I'm always up for something new and exciting. I look at it as a fun adventure for me. And it's a fabulous outlet for creativity. However, from my organization's perspective, hiring someone so green to PR as I am and just handing it all over like they have... it seems a bit... what's the word... brash? risky? imprudent?

One caveat to this point of view: I have a habit of underestimating myself and thinking less of my experience level than perhaps I should. For example, when I got into the college I had wanted to and which had a reputation for being competitive and selective, my first thought was "I guess they're not so selective after all." Okay, so I still think that.

Anyhow, I started working on the annual report for the organization and slicing and dicing stories that are coming to me. As my work in progress is taking shape, I find myself thinking, "Huh, perhaps they're not as naive as I thought. That's not half bad-- and a *?&! of a lot better than last years, for sure. Why didn't I start doing this earlier?" Who would have thunk it..

5 comments:

Anne said...

You scream PR. Did you know that was my major for a long time? Along with the 10 others...I really liked that one though! Glad you are enjoying yourself!

dolly d. said...

Woo hoo! Sooooo good to hear.

Wanderingfamilies said...

Sounds like fun and you will do awesome with PR stuff...good job, literally! ;-)

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

To comment on your witty repitition at the top of your blog, my said "Who's to say the man in going forward and the woman going backwards". Pretty darn insightful I thought. Anyway, good job with the job and Cody wished you good luck with the PR. Also, please don't hurt yourself anymore at the gym, it makes Morgan sad for you. Well, now you've heard from everyone here:)

Andrea said...

Well, dear, I think you are perfect for this job. I'm freakin' excited you got it. That is all.