Monday, January 28, 2008

Change

Yesterday was a day of great change. I had to work all day (it was the last day of Sundance. Thank goodness it's over), but that didn't stop things from changing. For one, they released the bishopric in my ward. Having grown up in the church, I should be used to this. The role of bishop was always changing hands from one friend of my parents to another. This one makes me really sad though. For one, it's the first ward where I've really worked closely with the bishopric, having served as the R.S. President for a while. It's also the first ward I've stayed in for longer than 6 months since I left my home ward in NJ. And the bishop, Bishop Ashby, was just the coolest, most down-to-earth, nonjudgemental, caring, wise and admirable person. I really adore him. And his wife. I was her visiting teacher for a long time. What a great couple. They're great. And now they won't be in the ward anymore. How sad for me. And though the new bishop will do a wonderful job, I'm sure, I am anticipating having a very hard time adjusting to the switch. I just feel a little robbed.

In another change of leadership, President Hinckley passed away yesterday. It's a bit silly that he was 97 yrs old and I still didn't see it coming. I saw it coming last year when he gave what sounded like a goodbye speech at General Conference. But not this year. And then it just happened, just like that. But I'm not quite as sad about that. I feel a lot like my sister-in-law mentioned, in that I am sure he is delighted to be reunited with his wife. He seemed to really miss her. You can't help in delight over a joyous reunion, even if it's your loss. He and his excellent handling of church affairs and all his wisdom will be missed. Sometimes I have mixed feelings about the policies of the Church and don't know quite what to think when the Church makes some kind of announcement about its opinion on various political issues. As a whole, however, I would have to say that I believe President Hinckley has lead the Church marvelously in a very tricky time.

3 comments:

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

I always thought Pres. Hinckley was so great at his media relations. He was so straightforward and courageous with answering questions. Definitely not an easy change to deal with and I had a hard time with our last bishopric change especially since it meant Cody was the new 1st Counselor! Good luck.
PS I tagged you if you want to play.

Wanderingfamilies said...

New bishoprics are always hard to adjust to, especially when you are the RS pres - I get that! But you will be fine!

eclaires said...

I was feeling similarly about change on Sunday. I'll miss Bishop Ashby ... and President Hinckley.