Friday, May 28, 2010

To Pepsi or Not to Pepsi


Me: I think I need to give up soda. The government is trying to put a tax on it because its so bad for our health. And it has all those preservatives. And football players and athletes don't really drink it because it messes with their performance.
Ben: Why are you always saying you have to give things up completely?
Me: I don't "always" do anything. I said that this time, though. So maybe I just need to drink it less. I drink it like 2-3 times a week right now. So less. I think I should drink it a lot less.

I have never had any inclination in my life to give up things that contain sugar. I love sugar. And I maintain that sugar loves me too. But the questions roll inside my head: "Could I live without soda if it really were that bad?" "Is soda my cigarette?" And then the ultimate question: "Do I really lack that much self control?".The answer to that question in my head is always a resounding, "Yes. I really do lack that much self control." But that's mostly in regards to the idea of sticking to any food restriction or diet. Despite the fact people think I am a healthy eater, I usually eat.. pretty much whatever I want. And the minute I say I can't have something, it kinda makes me want it more.

But soda -- it's only one thing. What about that? Couldn't I deny myself the Pepsi I usually reward myself with after I go to the gym? It's kind of an odd, unhealthy reward for such a good, healthy behavior anyway. Shouldn't I be able to take it or leave it? I wouldn't have to NEVER drink soda... just not on any kind of regular basis. I could do that, right?

Well, I don't know. It's been a week. Though I might not have had any last week either. But it's been deliberate for only 1 week. Last week may have been accidentally soda-free. Today, on my way back from the gym, I had sushi instead of Pepsi. Go figure.

The one thing I don't think I'll get away from -- I really like Pepsi. But maybe I can do without it as a part of my regular drinking regimen. Maybe. Judging by my own confidence in my ability to control my food cravings, if I were a betting woman, I'd give myself another week to go. I'll have accomplished something real if I can actually make it through 4 weeks.

Pepsi, oh Pepsi. Breaking up is so hard to do. I miss you. Boo hoo. Too da loo.

3 comments:

Bentley the Kid said...

Technically, I don't think three sodas a week classifies as an addiction. You're doing pretty good if that is your worst guilty pleasure. By the way, it was great to see you when you were in Salt Lake.

Sharona said...

I didn't say it was my worst guilty pleasure. :) It's just one that I could be persuaded to give up. If you asked me to give up ice cream or chocolate, I would never take you seriously.

dolly d. said...

It's true. Three sodas a week isn't too bad. I see your point though. I am always assuming that I will always be giving up certain foods and learning about new ones so that I am eating more and more healthy all the time. And lately I've been thinking less soda. Not that I drink it all the time, but we got a bunch for really cheap and I've been drinking it every day for like a week! Oh brother.

But anyway, I agree that "can't" having something makes you want it more, so I always say, of course I CAN have it, but I CHOOSE not too. It makes me feel better. :)

P.S. My sister made a rule once that she would only have soda when she ate out. Works pretty well if you don't eat out too often.