Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Interesting Read, Less Interesting Thoughts, update on the unidentified "G"

So, I have a little more free time this week. The big projects for the most part are done for right now, and I have a few breathers of a day or two. In my "free time" I was educating myself, and decided to watch a TED video (everyone should know about TED). The video is here. It is an interesting video about how businesses/people develop followings and becoming leaders rather than participants essentially. What makes someone inspire other people to jump on their bandwagon.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the video, hence I am posting it in hopes that someone else may be provoked by the thought process.

After watching the talk, I decided to check the author out a little bit more, and I came across this post here, entitled "Why You Need A Partner" and really should be labeled "Why MEN Need A Partner", but that is besides the point. It was a relatively interesting read, although not nearly as interesting as the first. I don't know if I buy in to his point, particularly because I am, for the most part, a very independent, self-serving, and some might argue, self-made individual. I've done most things on my own, accomplished most things without a partner, etc. But the notion and ideas presented at a minimum gave me something to think about.

Lastly, the unidentified girl is still in the picture, although crazily calling me out for leaving her unidentified (no, she doesn't read this blog...at least I don't think she does, I'm assuming Kim hasn't told her about it! ;). ) Recently, I my ears piqued at an off-handed comment of her being my "closet girlfriend". Now, granted, I tend to keep things a bit closer to the chest than the average individual, but really, how close to the chest can they be....after all, I am blogging about it.

Regardless, dates 4, 5, 6, 7, and a few others have gone along swimmingly......and in light of the closet girlfriend comment, she came with me to church on Sunday. The question is, when is integration too fast? As a person that likes to take things a bit slower, I tend to be apprehensive to the whole introduction to friends, family, etc., even if the unidentified G is a girlfriend. Mostly out of fear of disruption of life, severing of relationships if it goes sour, joint experiences that you may soon want to forget, yada yada yada. See, I like my life (shocker I know), and it affords me with some lovely luxuries, but I may also like life with the inclusion of a certain unidentified G. Do past relationships set the stage for failure in the future? Are our past experiences the largest hurdle to our potential future successes (wow, doesn't that look like it is spelled funny)? When is integration too soon? Or better yet, when is integration too late?

Pontificate away as I'm sure you will.

2 comments:

Sharona said...

Integration is whenever you feel comfortable. And maybe when you no longer feel honest in your self-representation without certain people knowing that someone else is "significant" in your life. It may be even a motion of practicality, so your friends & family are aware of this new important consideration that affects your decision-making and your schedule.

I'd say, at this point, you're at the "past" integration point.

Now it's just a question of integrated with whom? Because you may need to integrate with family & friends. But does anyone else really need to know?

dolly d. said...

You know why I think it's so fun to read your blogs on dating? They really sound so much like me. The me of many years ago, mind you. I too was super analytical and always trying to make sense of all my steps and decisions before I made them. The only difference between us (on this subject only, of course) is that most the couples in my family met and were engaged in about two months. I took a whole year, so it looked like I was the slow one.

Just quit thinking about it. Go with your gut. Do what you want to do and don't do what you don't. As long as you are the basically good, well-meaning person that I believe you to be, it'll all be perfectly fine.