Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Weekly Word: Verdant

So, lately I'm always listening to NPR. Frequently the reporters will use words that I don't know. On occasion I remember to look up those words. This time, however, I didn't learn the new word from a reporter on NPR. Instead it was from a repetitive plug for a sponsor -- some foundation who wants a more just, verdant and peaceful world. And over and over again, I would think, "Huh.. What's verdant?"

Well, at last I remembered to actually look it up. My uncanny ability to spell words I don't know the meaning of then came into action and I swiftly found the word in the dictionary.

Verdant
adjective
1. a) green in tint or color b) green with growing plants
2. unripe in experience or judgement: green

If I'd only known. Then my post last month would have been, "Do I Look Verdant to You?".

And all your friends who can recycle -- you can call them "verdant".

And all those greenies on missions. They're very verdant.

Verdant, verdant, verdant. I'm gonna be having a hay day with this one!

1 comment:

Johnny and Anny said...

Yay, the weekly word (I've already publicly admitted I love this!)That's kind of funny that the sponsor's message can be taken in two different ways: "a more just, inexperienced (verdant) and peaceful world!"

I love NPR...especially the classical music with Fred Child's (that guy is so goofy!). Keep the weekly words coming, I'm now five words smarter than I use to be!

p.s.
does anyone else find the words under the word verification very strange...malooper?