Thursday, May 28, 2009

If Drama Were A Color


Just a few days ago, Benny Boy and I were talking with a fabulously wonderful friend of mine, who also happens to be very savvy about colors. I had told Ben that he was a white, because I remembered my friend telling me he was a white, but I didn't remember what a white was. So we called her. And we had a lovely talk about the color code. And low and behold, Ben felt somewhat accurately labeled with his new-found color's description.

I, on the other hand, have never been well-described by the color code. This is not because the color code isn't accurate, but just because I'm a kind of hodge-podge of colors and not just one -- maybe it's an indication that "I'm complicated". But I digress... Anyhow, one of my stronger colors is blue, which is a somewhat emotionally driven color. Despite my emotional personality, however, we also noted that I am not very caught up in drama, which kind of makes me not blue.

Well, I don't like personal drama. But I DO love watching drama. One of my favorite shows to watch this past season was The Housewives of New York City. I loved this show! I love analyzing human interactions and people's motivations and observing how they handle themselves and each other. I don't so much care about their personal lives, but I love taking notes and assessing their people skills. And they provided so much fodder on the show -- fascinating and incredibly intense fodder. Side note -- I do have limits. Jerry Springer and people behaving badly is not drama to me. It's just kinda trashy and I don't like it.

So, clearly I don't put the housewives in the trash category. I think they're great! The thing is, though -- while I love watching these women, I am struck by the huge gulf between myself in real life and the real lives of these women in terms of how we interact with other people. They are so intense! They are so fiery! They are so full of drama! I love to watch this, but I think if I had a few of their interactions within a few months time, I would just be exhausted!

I steer clear of drama as much as possible. If I know someone who is high in drama, I usually think the drama is just... silly. It doesn't make sense to me in real life to behave this way and to act out so loudly. See a problem? Have a conflict? My approach is normally -- resolve, resolve, resolve -- in the nicest way possible. Don't fan the flames. Don't provoke. Don't lash out. I may be very loud when I am happy. I may be rambunctious at parties. And I may be somewhat excitable. But when it comes to confronting people over some conflict of interest or issue, I just don't do what they do! I have no desire to have it out with anybody with the vim and vigor they approach a fight.

The color code might diagnose these ladies with blue, as they react so emotionally. But then, it might be more red, with the passion and competitive nature they exude while they try to best each other in the fray. Drama. I don't know what color it is. Sometimes it's great to watch. But whatever color it is, I think it's one color I can only handle, in real life, in very, very small doses.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Amen! Two times! I avoid drama, and the people who thrive on it, like the plague. I just don't understand how anyone can choose to live in that state for any period of time.

eclaires said...

Sharon, I love this post! I completely agree. And paragraph three sounds like words coming out of my own mouth!