Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Culinary World is on to Something

Yesterday I tried out a new recipe that involved making gourmet-style hobo meals. It involved putting chicken in parchment paper, along with diced tomatos, marinated artichoke hearts, capers, feta cheese, olives and .... I can't remember what else. I was really excited about this recipe because once you throw all this stuff together (which requires no prep work, unless you consider opening bottles and cans prepwork)it only takes 20 minutes to bake! So cool, right?

Well, turns out this particular version of the dish is a bit too gourmet for Ben (I thought it was peculiar, when I had read him the ingredients last week while I was planning meals, that he still sounded interested). Along with being full of fancy ingredients, however, I found out as I was surfing the web for more Ben-friendly versions of this recipe that it also has a fancy name. I just cooked in papillote (pronounced pap-ee-YOT). What a fancy name for baking with parchment paper!

The culinary world is brilliant. Just give something a fancy name and voila! You have gourmet. I'm going to have to use this to my advantage and find out what the fancy name is for everything else I do. Then I can be gourmet all the time.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I recently learned that when a menu says "lyonnaise" it means cooked in the essence of bacon. It's a fancy word for something cooked in bacon fat! Isn't that fantastic?!?! I also love gourmet words.

Johnny and Anny said...

It seems that if any food has a foreign name, it's suddenly gourmet (especially French or Italian). I remember how disappointing it was when I found out what "soup de jour" meant, what a croc. It sounds like you are quite the chef, I've never experimented with capers or goat cheese (too gourmet for hoj too).

Also, congratulations on your new job too (although I agree, a full work day is kind of hard to swallow after a vacation)!! I hope to see you guys in SLC. Tell Ben 'Hi' from me too, and that we've been putting Power Grid to good use as of late (although I've yet to come out victorious:).