Friday, August 22, 2008

Why-o, why-o, why-o would a girl move to Ohio?

And why would she leave the perfect job that she JUST started a week ago? And why would she leave a free-rent house-sitting position? And why would she leave all of her family & friends she loves to see?

I can tell you why. Because I am getting married and my fiance just accepted a job offer in Cincinatti. I can't believe it! Ohio! What the heck is in Ohio?! Three of the 5 fastest-dying cities in the nation, if you read & believe MSN. THAT'S ENCOURAGING!

It has been a decision of a lot of mixed emotions for Ben & I. My job here is not one I have much of a hope of finding again. So, that's a bit painful. And we really weren't thinking to leave Utah for another few years. We had a great set up here and so many friends & family.

However, it's a great job opportunity for Ben. There is also potential for great educational opportunities for Ben out there. All things taken into consideration, it's the best thing for us to do. Especially because his current employer is just a few notches below the level of ridiculous that MY previous employer was. That is BAD.

And on my side, while it may sound like a big sacrifice, it's not so much when looking objectively: while I may not find THIS nonprofit job again, there are nonprofit jobs absolutely everywhere. And I can run the dress business from anywhere. I never realized before how portable me and all of my careers are. I'm incredibly versatile. And handy. Biotech pharmaceutical companies ---- are not everywhere.

One of the most interesting elements of this whole situation is the unexpected satisfaction I get in being able to support Ben. The sacrifice of my treasured job and all the things I have held dear here is strangely rewarding. It's like I'm offering that up as a kind of contribution, "payment in good faith" to our relationship. I'm gonna be SUCH a good wife! I can already tell. And so humble too!

Weird. All this marriage stuff. We're not even married yet. And torture of all tortures, he'll actually be starting work in Ohio on Sept. 8th, so I don't even get to see him the last two weeks before the wedding. Then again, that may be a good thing. No need to worry about being good behavior....

So, all in all, Ohio doesn't sound THAT bad. Don't get me wrong. It WOULD. But it sounds a lot better to me with Ben there. Marriage..... it certainly changes things. And people.

7 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Hold up there a sec! He's going out there BEFORE the wedding? What the hay?

Oh man......... You are awesome. You are going to be the coolest wife. And, I understand about the good faith collateral you're putting up. It feels good, for sure.

eclaires said...

So it's official. Hmph. :) I'm happy for you... but I have to admit that I'm really going to miss you... :) Maybe a vacation to Cincinnati is in my future... funny, but I have cousins there and haven't even ever visited them. Maybe now I will. :)

Sekkoaleyo said...

YAY!!! Once again I have my own selfish reasons. A new half way point between MN and NJ!!! It was sooo inconvenient when Dustin and M left. So what do you think...meet us in Wisconsin Dells in January? It's a good time. Can't WAIT to see you!!

Bethany said...

This makes me sad. And happy for you. But still sad. I am excited to hear about your adventures in Ohio-- I am sure you will find a way to scare some up :).

dolly d. said...

Oh you cute girl. I almost got teary eyed reading this - I know, I'm such a girl - but after all the conversations we've had about wanting to be married or not, it's just strangly cool to hear what you have to say now. You will be an awsome rockin wife...and Ty has a brother in Cincinnati you know...

Wanderingfamilies said...

If you listen to Frankie Avalon, I believe, the saying goes: why-o, why-o, why-o did I ever leave Ohio?! See?! Happy things happen there...although I will miss you...hey, when is your bridal shower?!

by Kimberlee St. Clair said...

You don't know me, so I know it is totally weird for me to make a comment...but, since you are somehow related to Emery (and I am too) I thought I'd just say....other than the humidity, Ohio is a lot of fun...they have the biggest roller coasters and amusement park in the United States, and really, really cool IN-DOOR water parks, and little islands with caves and memorial sites....and....and....well, let me just say, I really LOVED Ohio.