Monday, July 7, 2008

Wedding Plans

It's kind of an interesting thing to plan a wedding.

See, I've never really sat & planned out my wedding, browsed through wedding magazines or made seasonal centerpieces in anticipation of the big day. As a matter of fact, the whole seasonal centerpiece thing is something I hadn't even heard of until yesterday, when my sister was telling me she felt like a weirdo because she was one of the few BYU female students who wasn't preoccupied with this activity. I happen to think that particular activity sounds kind of.... weird. Who does that?

Anyhow, despite my lack of preparation, anticipation and research on the subject, I am glad to find that I pretty much know what I want. Colors -- check. Temple selection -- check. Reception style -- check. Dress -- check. Not that I'm saying it's easy to put it all together. It takes time. And pains. And coordination. And vendor research. But it's just not rocket science.

Ben likes to be involved in some of it -- things like picking out the venue, the photographer... The rest is kind of overwhelming for him. Truthfully, even those couple of things are kind of overwhelming for him. I give him small doses of wedding details to deal with at one time. Otherwise, I might make him implode.

Since having gotten myself into all this I have discovered a few things about wedding plans, which I think hold true to wedding planning in general.

Rules of Wedding Planning:

1) You WILL offend someone. Guaranteed.

2) The consumerization (is that even a word?) of weddings and that mass conglomerate of businesses that make up the wedding industry are: absolutely ridiculous! Since when is a wedding supposed to cost the equivalent of the downpayment on a house? Or a college education? I don't get it.

3) Lots of photographers, not so many venues. Prioritize reservation-getting accordingly.

4) Hiring a band, coincidentally, is a great way to inspire your fiance to want to take dance lessons. Just a perk, if you're interested. (It was completely unintentional and uncoerced, I swear.)

5) You need only get a couple wedding magazines, really. And you can probably get them from someone else without having to buy them. (something I discovered after having spent about $40+ on my own mags and then being gifted with a pile-full from friends).

6) You should make a great effort to save money and refrain from frivolous expenses in an effort to help with wedding costs, honeymoon expenses and to save for your future together. Unless, of course, a $130 handbag that you absolutely love and must have attacks you while shopping. (I'm not feeling any guilt about that purchase whatsoever. Really... Okay, maybe a little. Alright, a lot. But I need it! Is this going to be the effect EVERY time I do something like this? I really used to enjoy buying guilty pleasures with very little guilt.Please tell me these days aren't over!?!??)

Ahh, marriage. It's kind of an interesting thing.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Seasonal centerpiece?!?! I didn't even order my flowers until a wekk before the wedding. You're good.

dolly d. said...

Amen, I so totally agree with all you've said, and smiled slightly to myself as I read. I must admit that, since I love flowers ridiculously, I have thought of centerpeices more than the average Jo(ann). I think I'd probably find out what's in season, pick a pretty and cheap flower and go with it. I mean, all flowers are beautiful. Even the cheap ones.

And I sooooo totally agree with the consumerism involved. It's pretty much absurd. I find myself asking myself a lot "Do I want this because I want it or just because it's what everyone does?" Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fabulous.