Thursday, August 23, 2012

Rantings from My Desk in Pajamas Part 1

Who are they?  They are those who believe that no one has anything to do except worry about them...and they are so incessantly obnoxious about it that it warrants a rant, a rave (but not in the good kind), and perhaps a little public shaming.  I'm a lawyer, I deal with obnoxious people all the time, but somehow this one takes the cake.....I think?

So, I have a client (I know shocking), and they got into a little bit of a scuffle with one of their previous clients.  Fine, no big deal, happens all the time....especially in my world.  So, I find out about this on Tuesday at about 3pm from my client....no big deal.  We talk on the phone, discuss the issue, yada yada yada, we decide I should talk to the other side's lawyer.

I get an e-intro (via email) and am thinking we will talk the next day, as the e-intro takes place at 5pm Tuesday.....nope Ms. I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO WITH MY LIFE (who at this point by the way I think is very pleasant and just wants to start the conversation...but the title is deserving) decides we should talk that day, and we schedule a call for 6pm....fine....this is where it gets oh so bad.

For those of you non-lawyers, usually you start conversations with a brief overview of the case at hand, where you see things and go forward from there.  This conversation started with a 45 minute lecture on why her client is right and mine is in for a world of hurt.  Happy Tuesday evening.

It then progressed to 3 emails the next day with the last one stating "Since we spoke, I have sent you three e-mails regarding this case and have not received a response or acknowledgement for any of them."  Those three took place in less than 24 hours since our first conversation.  Now, maybe I'm crazy, but I don't watch my email inbox for emails from this lady, and I don't believe I have a requirement of less than 24 hour response times....especially when they don't pay my bills...just make larger ones for my clients.  Some times things take precedence (shocker that I have other things to do), and sometimes, I'm going to delay my response just cause you pissed me off.

So, being the quiet, patient, overly nice person that I am...I responded as follows:

"While your unrelenting dedication to this case is inspiring, I cannot always respond on the same day an email is sent.  I apologize that it has taken me nearly twenty-four hours to respond since your first email.  I will also be out of the office today, and therefore will not respond to any correspondence before tomorrow.  I appreciate your professional courtesy in this matter."

I wonder if she caught my sarcasm?  Mind you, this was instead of the following choices 1. Not responding at all; 2. Telling her to get a life with four letter explicitives; and 3.  Indicating that I won't respond unless under court order....ahh the joys.

Shockingly or not, none of her emails have since been nearly as demanding or as over the top....and exchanges have been on a much more professional level.

So, there you have it...rantings from my desk in pajamas.

No comments: