Friday, August 7, 2009

Weekly Word, "Albatross"

Albatross
Function: noun
Definitions:
1) any of a family (Diomedeidae) of large web-footed seabirds that have long slender wings, are excellent gliders, and include the largest seabirds
2) a : something that causes persistent deep concern or anxiety b : something that greatly hinders accomplishment: encumbrance

I read this in an article that was describing how home mortgages may now seem to their owners. Oh, this poor, sad little economy. In the middle of all this, it makes me kinda grateful I never had much to lose. You can't lose what you don't have.

Can anybody think of a more inspiring, or at least funny, way of using that word? I like it. But I prefer not to dwell on it in its current context. Help a sister out, will ya?

No comments: