Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Conversations On Children

Me: "Adrian's starting to show. I think she's getting excited about it. I told her not to worry. I would do more than enough worrying for her."

Benjamin: "Why do you say that?"

Me: "Because I totally feel overwhelmed for her? Besides, she just got married, which is already a pretty big change. Now everything for her is going to change. And IS changing, actually."

Benjamin: " I don't see why you think about it like that."

Me: "Well, if you were about to gain 20 lbs and get stretch marks and go through all sorts of physical changes and then have a baby and stop working and have a child to take care of permanently.... do you think you might find that overwhelming? It's not like you can get tired of the baby and give it back a year later."

Benjamin: "Well, yeah."

Me: "That's why."

I don't know about you, but it makes sense to me. Maybe Benjamin can be the stay-at-home dad when we get around to having kids. He doesn't seem daunted by parenting at all. Brave you parents are. Very brave. Talk like Yoda I do sometimes. Scared stiff of children-having I still am. :)

1 comment:

dolly d. said...

Yeah, like I said, I have had plenty of worrying about it in the first trimester. Maybe it's just that I'm only physically capable of worrying so much and I reached my threshold a few weeks ago. Really, I like that threshold.