Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Checking In


It doesn't take much to ruin your efforts. In my case, I almost threw away my dedication and hard work in a mere 2 days. Thank goodness I took a turn for the better at the last hour and thwarted failure. I finally got myself to the gym at 8:20pm, which is before closing time(9pm), and ran my 4 miles as quick as my legs would carry me so I didn't have to stop before I'd finished. If I hadn't gone running yesterday, I wasn't going to get in my 3 days this week. And that would totally ruin my progress and training. Ok, maybe not totally. But it would have created a crack in my confidence and dedication to the goal of training. And self-doubt is incredibly toxic.


I have been keeping a log of my marathon training for the past 4 1/2 weeks. In that time, I've logged 56 miles. While this is skimpy by normal marathon training standards (most training programs recommend you run 25-50 miles per week),I find it encouraging. Already, I've run well over 2 marathons!

I also have been diligently caring for my plantaar fasciitis. I found a new kind of stretchy sports tape. The previous tape I was using started to fall off from the increase in humidity out here, making it somewhat ineffective and incredibly annoying. The new tape sticks to my legs while I run, but doesn't stick so well that it takes my top layer of skin when I take it off AFTER I run (I especially appreciate this feature). And my ankle, even after a 10.5 mile long run last weekend, seems to be feeling really good. Not cured. But good.

I'm not burnt out on my goal. I rather enjoy the running. I haven't suffered any feelings of dead legs or a feeling of dread in anticipation of running. It seems to me 3 times a week isn't a hard regimen to keep up with. But it's easy to get out of rhythm. And I almost didn't make it a priority the last couple days. I was SUPPOSED to go running Monday. But then I fell asleep and the next thing I knew the gym was already closed (curse their summer hours). It was almost a repeat on Tuesday. Thank goodness for the almost -- I would have been so sad!

This has brought to light the longevity in focus required to meet this goal. I'm coming on 5 weeks of consistent training, or 10 if you wanna be generous and include the weeks I was running regularly and gearing up to train. But I have all the way to November 1st to get to my goal!! That's another, count 'em with me, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 weeks! Seriously? I could fall off the wagon any NUMBER of times given that many opportunities.

I have some hope. In training, I've so far had to make some accomodations and concessions which make evident the existence of some dedication and staying power on my behalf. I've had to wake up at 6am and go running several times, just to fit it in. I've conceded to fitting in 1 day of cross-training to compensate and provide sufficient fitness training for my lower mileage training regimen. And I've found myself willing to run innumerable hills -- because that's all Fairfield, Ohio has to offer me if I want to run outside. These are my sacrifices that give me confidence. I place my offerings at the altar of the marathon gods in hopes they may find them pleasing and satisfactory. If I'm willing to do this (and believe you me when I say I really HATE running in the morning) I just might reach the marathon. I just might.

I mentioned that I almost failed, but I realize failure can have many definitions. I am running for a purpose, but that purpose is not to win a race. And it is not to run a marathon even. It is yet to be seen if my ankle will last. But it's pretty clear that the goal to run the race has been set and the entry form has been turned in. All that need not fail is my effort and dedication in reaching that goal.

If my body or life should thwart me, that's ok. Just don't let it be because I'm a slacker.

2 comments:

dolly d. said...

Wait, what what the purpose for which you are running this race? That last paragraph was eloquent, but I didn't quite get that answered.

Sharona said...

Well, I guess I consider the purpose to be to push myself and do my best -- even if that doesn't end up being that I can run a marathon.