Saturday, September 6, 2008

Made For Me

It's interesting, the things you learn over the years and how long it can actually take to figure things out. Even basic things. The evolution of becoming a woman. Not just a woman, but a knowledgeable woman. A woman who has self awareness and seems to have it together. We have LOADS to figure out -- like how to get the right bra, plucking eye brows, learning to blend your foundation into the chin/neck area so you don't have a line, buying clothes that aren't too baggy OR too tight. Figuring out how to shave without gashing your legs everywhere. Learning what colors you can and can't wear, learning to appreciate a real haircut instead of having your mom put a bowl over your head and trimming around the edges, learning how to be sexy without showing all of your cleavage/legs/back/belly/body. Learning everything. There's so much to learn and figure out. And for some it takes a while.

For me, it takes an especially long while. But I'd like you to know, I have just hit a milestone of progress on my womanly journey.

I have had an understanding, since I was about 23, that I just have bad skin. But even after acne meds, I would still have blemishes pretty consisently (though admittedly they were fewer), so I accepted the idea that my skin was just not the best,... genetically defective and not meant to be clear... except for maybe sometime in my 70's when all my hormones had dried up and subsequently stopped messing with my face. Sometimes you just can't beat nature.

Despite this understanding and accepting of my flaws, there was a small little corner of me that was in denial and refused to believe this. This small corner of me was certain the problem was my face products and that I just have incredibly sensitive skin. This small corner of me urged me on to search high and low from drug store to department store to beauty product store to online store to pyramid scheme business, experimenting with, purchasing and returning egads of lotions, face washes, face serums and the like -- all in the name of clearer skin.

I'm 28 years old and I'd just like you to know, that little corner of me was right. I'm not crazy after all! Ok, maybe I am. But I was at least not crazy in this regard. And my quest is over. Hallelujah! It couldn't have come at a better time. ok, I lie. A better time would have been at least 14 years ago. But better late than never, right? And when late is still BEFORE your wedding day pictures, I don't feel I should complain.

I don't think these products are for everyone, as everybody's skin is different, but should you have incredibly sensitive skin like I, you too might be seeking friendly products. Here's my findings from years of research: I have newly found two products: 1) dermatlogica's ultracalming cleanser and 2) hope in a jar's therapeutic moisturizer for dry, sensitive skin. And I didn't capitalize the names of those products because they're not capitalized on the actual product packaging. They both have very little in them and nothing to rub skin raw, irritate or put harsh, alcoholic fragrances or burning chemical face brightening or whatever crap on your skin. No anti-aging, no skin plumping, no nothing. The one moisturizes and the other washes. That's it. Neither of them have spf, but if you're an spf junkie, they do have face lotion from philosophy's hope in a jar that does have spf. For me, I went without that as I have figured out the LESS ingredients in the bottle, the better off I am.

One thing down, a few thousand more to go. The journey of womanhood is long, and it is hard. Boys will never understand completely. But it's so encouraging and rewarding when you finally figure something out. I'm one step closer, though I'm not sure to what. And I'm one notch more confident. I understand myself that much more. Progress always feels good. And, in this case, looks even better. :) How refreshing.

No comments: