Thursday, September 11, 2008

Frustration with dreaming

So I don't write often, and I don't promise to write more often, but running my own law firm takes time....and dedication, and a whole host of other things that I care not to elaborate on. Anyways, for the several weeks I have been in deep thought (mind you, my depth doesn't get much deeper than the bottom of a jar of Maille, but that is another story.)

I assume everyone that knows me, knows my well complained about issues with sleep, lack of it, and lack of its consistency. Along with that comes my lack of dreaming, but usually I don't complain about that, I just think that it is odd....but alas that is not what has bothered me today despite their importance and potential relation to the current topic of demise.

For the last several weeks/months, I have been a little annoyed with myself in the way things are going. I had these little goals in my head of how things would go, where they would be, and what I would be required to do to take it there. A lot of those goals were professional, and some were personal. Surprisingly, a lot of those goals have been attained or are in the process of being attained, and yet I was frustrated. Every day I was waking up and attaining goals, and making things that I had set as goals when I was 5 a reality, yet I wanted more, or at least I wasn't happy with where I was at. One would think that if their "dreams" were being fulfilled that one would be happy. But that is the topic of the post...."DREAMS".

I began to internalize as to whether it was that my goals were not fulfilling. I feel like they are fulfilling, and as an everyday life, I actually enjoy them quite a bit. I think the world would look at them as respectable and admirable goals, and I don't think I am entirely a self-centered individual, although I won't claim that I am not selfish.

Well, if my goals were fulfilling, aren't my goals my dreams? OR are goals and dreams different? Are dreams that intangible thing which we lust after and goals the pragmatic steps that we take to get there?

What is a dream? Very tough to call. I have found myself feeling uninspired and a bit, hmmm.... shall we say calculated and pragmatic. I longed for the days when I would stare out the window and fantasize about being superman, or batman....and reflect back on how happy those day dreams made me feel, despite the fact that I knew they would never come into existence.

I know those around me would say that I am always dreaming of these wild and crazy endeavors that I get involved with, yet I never seem to feel like they are dreams. They seem like pragmatic, practical plans in an attempt to achieve very tangible and realistic goals (what is realistic to one may not be realistic to another.) Yet, I continue to wake up every day and wonder what it is in the world I am doing with myself. And then it hit me.

Have I failed to dream? What do I mean by that? I mean that I have failed to remove myself from the tangible every day practical part of life and think about the "if's" and the "what if's". The unattainable has become attainable, and therefore, my dreams have died...fortunately not because of depression or failure, but because of relative success (I am no millionaire). Odd to say that success has frustrated me, but it has. There is still challenge and things to work for, but they are attainable, or at least I feel like they are attainable.

It is that failure to keep the dream alive, to keep dreaming that has lead to the frustration. I have wondered over the last while what it was with me, and I wonder if that is the answer. That if failing to come up with new dreams, new ideas, new challenges and aspirations, that the old dreams which one has attained or failed, whichever is ones reality, the dreaming has been supplanted by the every day, the parts of life that keep us alive and make us human. The parts of life that sustain us in a temporal sense, but they do not keep our spirits alive, at least not my spirit alive.

I need to dream. I need to dream of that next mountain that needs to be climbed, or that little bit of dirt that I could cultivate an ant farm in. Whatever it is, I believe it is the continuous process of dreaming that keeps my spirit alive.

So alas, if you have felt similarly, or ideas in what it is you dream about and work for...chime in. Let me hear your thoughts...and maybe, just maybe I'll dream of writing a response! ;)

6 comments:

Anne said...

Neu Estates? Or is that too attainable?

Jefe said...

Hmmm....that is a dream sort of, but a group dream. As far as attainable? I actually think it is very attainable, it just requires commitment.

Sharona said...

You know, it's funny. I have achieved very little, I think. I mean, I don't sit on my behind, but my great successes are few in number. And yet, I rarely find myself frustrated with where I am in life or what I have accomplished. Maybe the focus shouldn't be on dreams at all. Goals are great, but as you mentioned they really don't bring happiness. Successes, money, degrees and medals are great but remain very separate from the inner self. The trick to happy is not dreams. It is reality. Every day reality and creating one that brings you happiness. A large part of that for you is probably going to be that you are compelled to always be working hard at something. But perhaps the problem and frustration is that there is not enough balance with ALL of the things that make you happy. And I would say, if that is the case, the remedy to your frustration is probably not more of the same (meaning achievement). I of course am just hypothesizing. But it's a thought... :)

Jefe said...

Yes, perhaps. but the point of dreams isn't that it is a goal or something I am working towards, but a view of life of the would should could, the fantasy, the theoretical, the philosophical, which has been lost on me for the last while I think.

Wanderingfamilies said...

Jeffy-poo: dream away! And I commit to being a visitor to Neu Estates!

Jill and Kevin said...

To quote Cinderella, "A dream is a wish your heart makes." For me, my big dreams depended (and still depend) a lot on other people, so I didn't have total control. And now, I have dreams for my kids, for who they'll be and what we'll be like as a family. And the hardest part is that I have to trust in the Lord that these dreams will come true. I just have to put forth all my effort and then leave the rest up to "my fairy-godmother". I hope that made some kind of sense.