Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Eight Things

It's not that surprising that I love to do these little self-reflective lists. In actuality, I am addicted to list-making. I don't often do to-do lists (at least not lately). But I write 6 month goals for life, yearly goals, and a 5 year plan. And I do that whenever I feel like it, which is sometimes more frequent than every 6 months, year or 5 years. :) I just like to look out over the future at all that could happen and where I think I'm headed at the moment.

And I like to go back over them and read and see how my course in life has changed and what I've done and what I haven't. For me, they're just an list of ideas, a general direction.. a jumping off point. I could care less if I stick to them. But I think it's helpful to know where you're trying to go. It's helpful to finitely articulate what you want in life. And in that, to get to those goals, I wholeheartedly believe you also need to understand where you are and where you've been. So, I like all these kinds of lists.

Not to mention, should my progeny ever wonder what was my state of mind during this time, I think these are very insightful. And I believe my progeny will want to know my state of mind because I'm just so darn interesting. Crazy people are always fascinating. Didn't you know?

8 things I am passionate about:
1. dancing
2. music
3. working
4. running
5. people I love
6. being dependable
7. understanding why I do things
8. learning more

8 past books I have read (umm, and enjoyed):
1. Life of Pi
2. Three Cups of Tee
3. The Book Thief
4. Tale of Two Cities
5. Catcher in the Rye
6. The Harry Potter Books
7. Ender's Game
8. The Little Prince

8 things I often say:
1. That's fabulous!
2. I don't know
3. No worries
4. I'm so glad
5. "Aunt," which is pronounced very differently than "laugh"
6. Rad
7. I think not
8. Shall we?


8 things I look for in a friend:
1. some grasp of reality
2. honesty
3. consistency
4. positive reinforcement (aka compliments. I really like those)
5. an adventurous spirit
6. intelligence -- it impresses and fascinates me all at the same time.
7. somebody who likes me -- this narrows down my options considerably
8. a sense of humor.

8 things I want to do before I die:
1. be rich
2. build my dream house
3. travel more
4. help people. A lot of them.
5. adopt a child
6. work less (for money, that is)
7. have a dog
8. conquer the difficult level of spider solitaire. That game!

8 things I have learned this past year:
1. I am much more imperfect than I thought I was last year.
2. Ebay. Ah yeah.
3. A mortgage makes you feel a lot older
4. I am not built to be an ultra-athlete (I relearn this just about every year)
5. Good Housekeeping Cook Book has the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've found
6. Life is full of surprises and unexpected opportunities
7. I might not be hopeless
8. The reasons I do the things I do and am the way I am are more my own than I ever thought. A pleasant discovery.

8 people I want to do the 8 things:
1. Chamaine
2. Beth
3. Mikol
4. Andrea
5. Eclaires
6. Brian
7. Sassy the Master
8. Anne
9. Phew. I'm done. Thank goodness. I wasn't sure I had that many blogging friends.

3 comments:

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

I'll see what I can do but I enjoyed your lists nonetheless. I also love a good list.

Bentley the Kid said...

Sharon, you ARE an interesting person. You are one of my all-time favorite people!

dolly d. said...

I didn't know you'd read the Life of Pi. I did too, and think it'd be fun to talk to you about. So yes, lets get together and talk about that as well as many other things.