Friday, March 21, 2008

Shattered

I was talking with my sister the other day. She is droning through her last few days (we hope) of pregnancy waiting for her new little boy. She already has 4 boys and a girl. They are all adorable. But, clearly, the little female is a minority. I asked my sister if she was happy to be having another boy.

For the record, she's delighted to be having a boy. Slightly detouring from that point, my sister expounded on how she thinks Clara, her daughter, will respond to the baby. We talked a bit about how she is now, with being the only girl. Clara is delightful, cute, a total ham,... Clara is many things. She can be rough and tumble and hold her own amongst her brothers. And she's definitely a girl. She insists on wearing more pink than any three year old I've ever met before. And she doesn't get it from her mother -- her mother hates pink. It's also been determined that she likes being the only girl. And She LOVES my sister. My sister is both mother and, more significantly, the only other girl in the house. Along with this hard to come by quality, however, comes certain consequences. My sister says she notices when Clara gets reprimanded for something, it shatters her completely. And I can imagine why. It is very traumatic to have your one, truly most significant and only constant female friend in the world be upset with you.

I had to smile a bit as we talked about this aspect of Clara, as I think she and I may have this in common. Poor girl. Hopefully she can grow out of it. I don't know that I can.

It's a hard thing when one has to come to terms with oneself. Sometimes my emotions get so big, they start to not fit inside and then start to leak out so that I have no choice but to admit that I have them. Very unfortunate, as I find it's so convenient to just ignore them most of the time. But when they make themselves so darn obvious, ignoring is nigh unto impossible! What's a girl to do?

Well, cry, of course.

My new personal realization: compliments are important to me. Previously, when considering the 5 languages of love, that one was always one of the lower-ranking priorities. I'd almost opted to drop it off the list completely at one point, but then thought better of it and figured all of the languages are probably beneficial to some degree. Due to recent events, it has been determined that compliments should be moved up to a higher status.

Lately, I find myself being in the lot of what I'd like to call "noncompliments." Things like: I'll not like you if you ever cut your hair short, you eat weird food, I disapprove of you when you cook with alcohol, you don't clap enough in performances, when you dress up you make me look bad, you don't vacuum enough, I can't believe you'd DARE to put your hand down the garbage disposal, you're not careful, your outfit is terrible..

I could go on, but it'll just make me sad if I do. I think Male and I have gotten to a place where he is very comfortable. So comfortable, in fact, that he has forgotten to pay attention to the fact that most of what comes out of his mouth is everything he doesn't like about me. They're probably things he was also too polite to say previously. I assume he likes me. And I think he forgets to express this because he probably assumes that I know.

Well, I do know. Despite this, I have been shattered for an entire two weeks, dizzy with all the noncompliments that are swimming around in my head. My one big friend in the world is upset with me. Often. It's some cause for concern that I have so much in common with a three year old.

5 comments:

Anne said...

That just makes me sad. There was a pretty comprehensive lit review done by a professor at BYU on this stuff. The number one factor in happy families(I think relationships apply) is appreciation. Very closely related to compliments. Show appreciation sincerely
(don't gush) and show it often (notice the little stuff). And for the record, the negative stuff is hard for everyone, not just you and three year olds!

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

I can't believe your sister is having another baby. Wow, that takes stamina! It's important to be real with the person you have a relationship with but Male must not forget that with every criticism must come a positive. I asked Cody a body question, he answered truthfully, I know this answer to be true but I was still shattered. I have 2 sisters and a mom, so really we're all like this:)

Wanderingfamilies said...

Yea for Emilie! I am not so crazy about the comments from Male - I really don't think that I could count on one hand the number of times I have felt "noncompliments" from Kurt. I think that complimnets are important, but you know what?! I think being nice and not being negative are even more important...take note...

Wanderingfamilies said...

P.S. We are going to the zoo on Saturday if you want to join us...we are planning on being there when the gates open...

dolly d. said...

Hey you, I think we should hang out. And that is super duper too bad. Does he know he does this? For the record, I've always heard that you need 5 positives to counter balance a negative...and certainly we all will say and recieve negatives, so just throw a lot of positives around and you might just break even. :)