Monday, December 10, 2007

Home for a Holiday

I went home for Thanksgiving this year. And somehow I managed to persuade Male to come with me. We had a great time. We spent Thanksgiving with my oldest brother and his family in South Jersey. And we traveled back down again to his house the next day, to make as much use of my Settlers of Catan game as we could. We also visited a lovely little place called Ringing Rock Park. It's got a nice hike and a waterfall. But most amazing is the field of huge rocks and boulders. When you tap on the rocks and boulders, they ring like bells. Cool, huh? I thought so.

Anyhow, I brought my camera along for the trip. Unfortunately, I have yet to be used to having a camera handy for family affairs. So, I have no cute pictures of my nieces and nephews. Or Thanksgiving. Or the day after. But I did remember to bring the camera with Male and I when we went to see the Statue of Liberty.

We also got a few shots of the early birds one lovely morning. With nothing to show for ourselves but sour faces, it is clear we are good abiding mormons who don't use coffee and sugar in the morning. Otherwise, we might look friendlier. And the winner is --- the man who had the muster to smile. Impressive, Male. Very impressive.






Here's a few pictures of our Statue of Liberty escapade. We ended up taking the longest ferry route possible that day during our visit. We traveled from the Jersey shore to Ellis Island 1st. Unfortunately, we didn't get off. Instead we decided to go to the Statue of Liberty 1st. No bid deal, right? That's what we thought too. So naive. After the Statue, we traveled back to Ellis Island. This we expected. But then we had to travel back to the Statue of Liberty in order to get back to the Jersey shore. And FYI - the ferrys don't run all the time. You must wait for them. In the cold. For a long time. If ever you should travel that way, take my advice. Just get off wherever the ferry leads you. You might say the ferry is "inspired". Go with the ferry.

Anyhow, it was really good to be home. I need to click my ruby red heels that direction more often.

5 comments:

Wanderingfamilies said...

Oh! How I want to go back to Jersey! Jeff: classic face! Glad Ben went with you...what did he think of the East?!

Sharona said...

Eh, he's been there before. We went to the Statue of Liberty because it's one of the few things he HASN'T done yet. Of course, I agreed to this before I learned that going to Central Park and visiting the MET are also on that small list. If I'd only known what my options were. I'm ACHING to go to the MET.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

I'm going to ignore the fact that you guys were that close to me and didn't tell me you were here...Not! What?! When were you here and why didn't I know this?! Next time you HAVE to let me know so we can get together no matter what. And also, great pictures...I can't believe how long your hair is. Very cute.

Wanderingfamilies said...

I, too, LOVE the hair...the MET is definitely better than the Statue of Liberty! Next time, let's all go!

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Ok miss-i'm-too-subtle-for-my-new-long-hair! Next time I'm in Utah I promise to get together as long as you do the same with back East. And I also agree the Statue is lame and the MET cool.