Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Give Said The Christmas Tree....

Give oh give, give oh give.... forgive me. It's a catchy tune and I couldn't help myself. Ok, so I have been in the Christmas spirit for a while. I've been looking forward to the season so much I almost can't believe myself. I had no idea I was such a relisher of the holiday season. Apparently I am.

What do I love about it?

1) I absolutely love gift giving. I've been looking forward to it for months, actually, just waiting for the time I could finally get that perfect gift for so-and-so. I find fewer things as satisfying as lavishing someone with something they really treasure or some luxury they wouldn't normally afford themselves, whether that be pedicures, basketball tickets, a framed drawing or whatever. It's the most fun! Expensive... perhaps. I totally can't gift-give on a budget. Not that I give trips to Greece or new cars, of course. But it just doesn't seem to compute in my head to give on a budget. I've noticed, however, nobody I've given a gift to has complained about that. Go figure. And it makes me so darn happy, it just might be worth every overspent penny.

2) The music. The songs are so great it's a pity we only sing them during the season. Especially the hymns and Gloria Hallelujah type songs. They're gorgeous! (Sorry, Santa Baby. I love you, but you're second in my heart to Angels We Have Heard on High... and a few others) And despite having been one of those people to exhibit disdain when hearing Christmas music out of season, I confess to having started listening to my cd's almost an entire month before Thanksgiving. I just couldn't help myself.

3) treats at the office. My coworker and I have been doing the chocolate dance all month, hoping the businesses we work with would grace us with chocolate from See's, Harry & David food stuffs and other treats in the spirit of holiday giving. We finally cashed in this week. Previously, when said dancing appeared fruitless, we resorted to providing our own chocolate for the season. My new motto: should nobody bring chocolate, buy your own. One of the few easy fixes in the world I've found.

4) Parties!!! I love parties. I happen to be the coordinator of a holiday party this year, and I am SO excited. There is gonna be yummy food, friends, music and I get to dress up a little. What's not to love?

5) Days off work. 'Nuf said.

6) Random acts of kindness: Our office mailman left us a card in our mailbox thanking us for being such good customers and wishing us happy holidays. I don't know that he had a choice in serving us or that we had a choice in whether or not he was our mailman. And I was unaware that picking up mail was grounds for being a good customer. And we've never met the mailman. But I totally dig the cute homemade card and the thought. Nutty. But totally heartwarming. There's some holiday spirit for you. Go Mr. (or Ms.) Mailman!

7) Christmas bonus. No better way for the boss to say Merry Christmas than with a very festive, and most heart-warming, green-colored gift.

8) This holiday season, I just learned how to joke with my boss. There's a fun Christmas gift I didn't expect to find. Seriously, it's been a challenge and there are few things more awkward than a blank stare from your boss after a joke. But I actually made him laugh today. Really. How refreshing.

9) A season when family and relationships are given more emphasis than all the other cares in the world. That's nothin' but good. And I lesson I could do better at remembering the rest of the year.

10) Christmas cards! I love all the cards my parents get from family and friend that fill me in on the lives of all those fabulous people I grew up knowing and continue to love. Someday I'll do that. Either when I have someone more than myself to report on, or perhaps when I turn 35. For some reason, 35 seems to me like a good year for growing up and doing adult things. Maybe like writing christmas cards.

A few things I DON'T Like about the holidays:

1) I totally dread the Salvation Army people parked in front of the supermarket. I know, I know. That's awful.

2) The traffic. You can't drive anywhere these days without it taking 3 x's as long with all those Christmas shoppers in transit!

3) The fact that everybody else at my work is taking vacation over the holiday season and I will be the lone person in the office every day between Christmas and New Year's. You feel sorry for me. I know. I feel very sorry for me. But honestly, couldn't we have just closed?

4) Trying to figure out what to say to people when they ask you, " So what do you want for Christmas?" Does anyone know what to say to that after they leave elementary school? And sadly enough, if it was affordable, I probably would have bought it myself already. Anybody want to buy me a lap top? Or a 3 month trip to South America? Or tickets to London for a couple weeks? Or maybe a six-figure salary? I think they sell them at Costco or WalMart. I hear they have everything in those big box stores. Just kidding. I'm really not that expensive. Ok, I am. But I am easily pleased as well. Maybe I should just suggest people get me cookware. That's what my parent's normally do and I love it --- it may be a gift given in hopes of a life of domestic bliss for their child, in hopes that I might set foot in my kitchen, or in hopes of both. But I know there's love there.


As I was writing this blog and expounding on things I don't like about the holidays, I realized with negatives number 5-7 that I actually forgot to write negatives and instead wrote things I DO like about the holidays by mistake! Ha ha. What can I say? I love a little more than I don't like. Thus, my lopsided list will remain lopsided. Happy Holidays!!!

3 comments:

dolly d. said...

Merry Christmas! Wow, those are all super good things. So, you are a closet Christmas music listener, eh? I knew all you people couldn't hate hearing it all THAT much.

And I have to agree with the Salvation Army bucket. AAARRGG! How could they possiblly make giving so tortuous? So that that bell ringing is in your ears all the time hounding you to be generous. And even if you do plop some in once, they are still there every time you stop in for something...even if you have to cash. Bother.

My boss gave me See's. Yippee!

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

great list and i'm sending positive thoughts your way about all those fun things you wished for...maybe some rich secret santa will help you out with one of those:)

Wanderingfamilies said...

I had the best intentions of doing Christmas cards this year...and once again, I failed. I like your idea of 35 and doing adult things! Maybe I will have to do the same...Merry Christmas! Let's get together this break, ok?!