Tuesday, June 21, 2011

If I See an Article About A Mormon One More Time This Week, I'm Gonna....

How long before the media is tired of printing the word "mormon"? I kind of feel violated. We're everywhere! Including:


Here

And here

And here

And here


And here


And that's just a small sampling of the litany of articles, news flashes, shows and other media that have been flashing my religion across the television screen and the newspapers, for everyone's entertainment. There's still the Big Love show (which really isn't even related to mormons, but whatever) and Jimmer Fredette and... you get the point.

I have always assumed that when people I meet learn that I am a mormon there will likely be a small moment of, "I've met one!" or "really!?! odd." or something to that effect. And I don't mind that much. I understand that outside of the densely populated areas of Utah, Las Vegas or Idaho, we tend to be an anomaly. I've been totally fine with that my whole life. And I've never made any effort to "hide".

But now with all the media attention and the obsession with minute details about my faith that really don't "define" myself or my belief system, the initial impressions out there are suddenly run amok. I might have to do "damage control". And I don't even want to worry about the innumerable misnomers and misconceptions that might now be out there when people learn about my religious affiliation. I don't want to have to dispel anything or defend myself -- especially so early on in a relationship! I am growing quickly tired of having my religion be used as a point of amusement and something to pick at and contort.

Not that I have big issues with any particular tidbit or story that is in the media. Even with the Broadway hit show. I have gotten the impression from a few that they feel it is only right if we, the faithful (mormon or otherwise), are offended by how someone could mock something we hold as sacred as our religion. As much as I can see their point, I've never been one to take offense to much and I can see how many of my own beliefs could be seen as crazy and absurd. It doesn't bother me at all to have people laugh about that. I just don't like the frenzied attention. And the prolonged fascination. The en masse and lengthy obsession is weird.

I did not join a reality tv show and seek this out. I don't think the church leadership did either. Are we really that interesting? For all you're wishing we were a freak show to see, I am just not much of a freak. Can we all move on now?

Of course, I am aware both Romney AND Huntsman have announced their candidacies for president. It's not going away any time soon. But a girl can wish, can't she?

No comments: